Sunday, December 14, 2008

Last day in Kiev

Today is our last day in Kiev for this part of the adventure. We asked yesterday at the Internet Cafe if we could come back today and they said "no stop", so we guess that to mean they are open all the time. So we get to talk to you for another day....

We always have fun adventures here. When we left yesterday to walk back to our apartment, a lady stopped us and asked us for directions. I guess we fit in better this time!! Then in line at the market, two ladies asked us to hold their spot in line. We said "we don't understand." Then they talked to us in English and a man in front of us asked us where we were from and what we were doing there. So I guess there are a lot more people that speak English here than we would ever guess.

We don't have a lot to talk about today so we will tell you about our "supermarket." When you walk in, there are guards, I think to make sure you don't bring packages in. First, you walk through fruits and vegetable and you have to have each item weighed and tagged before you move on. There is a big meat and cheese counter with smoked fish and all kinds of things. We never get anything here because we don't know how to order. There are rows of regular grocery stuff. There is one whole row of different kinds of tea. There are three whole rows both sides of alcoholic beverages. There aren't any items like clothes soap, shampoo, or napkins at this market. Luckily, we brought all of that or it is in our apartment.

All the clothes that we washed yesterday are dry - amazingly in this cold apartment - and ready to be packed away. Today, the landlady came to work on the TV in the kitchen, but it still isn't working - not that we would use it anyway. We set up our own "entertainment center." We set the laptop up on a chair and watch movies on that.

After we "cooked" our bath and I was rinsing out my bowl after we ate breakfast, the hot water must have starting working, but there was enough force that it sprayed me all over my clothes. I guess we will go back and shower, pack, and be ready to walk to the Metro to go to the train station to go to Odessa tonight. Will write as soon as we can after we meet the kids!!

1 comment:

Jenni Pearson said...

Well, it is almost 5:00 a.m. Monday morning for you. Just wanted to let you know that we are praying and will continue to pray that all goes well. Can't wait to meet the new members of the Tibbits family! Praying that everything works out and that you get to meet them as planned. Thank you for sharing your adventure with us.

Love Brian and Jenni