Monday, February 2, 2009

Our First Week At Home

A friend of our's said I should journal on here everyday - I would like to, but I rarely get to the computer, but today I will attempt to catch you up on our first week. I wanted to write about everyday, but I don't remember what happened on which day anymore and which order. It has actually been going better than expected. I have read on a lot of blogs that their kids got up at 3 a.m. since their timing was off, but the kids have slept well everynight. They go to bed about 8 and get up at 7:30 or 8. There are variables to that of course. Last night, Korey took Ryan and Robin to Westside to go to the Superbowl party and it might have been a little early to send them out. The little ones didn't go to sleep until the older ones came home, but now they are all taking a nap, so I will attempt some updating. It will probably be fragmented, but here goes....

All of the grandparents have been here to visit and most of the aunties and uncles. Several people from our church have been over to visit and we have had meals brought in for a week, which was really nice. All of us adults were sick the first week and people brought things I wouldn't have thought to make. So far, the kids still like juice and fruit. My friend gave us a bag of raisins, which I really dislike, so I never would have bought, but they really like them. They like ice cream and sherbet and most sweets. They like homemade bread and they love grape jelly. I think they would eat anything if you put grape jelly on it!! A friend made a green apple/snicker/whip cream salad, which was a bit hit. They even licked the bowl on that one!! They like mac and cheese (thankfully) and cheesy potatoes. They like cereal and milk. They really like any fruit, even canned. They have a tougher time with any of the main dishes, they look at it and make a face. If Ryan makes a face first, all of the others follow his lead and won't try it. One day, the little two were putting the main dish in the dog dish and Jason was shoveling it in his mouth and then into Jillian's mouth - so I don't know why they couldn't eat it at the table, but could then, but I think it is just following Ryan's lead at this point. They do like chicken though and today we tried spagetti again and they will eat the pasta, but not the sauce or just a little sauce. So we have been trying lots of different stuff and hoping they are getting enough to eat. I feel that is all I do, is try to think of things to serve them since they eat like 6 times a day!! Jason is eating a lot better than he was in Ukraine and is getting some color in his cheeks.

Other things they like to do is play outside. They especially love the sliding hill. They ask to go outside constantly. Some days, it is just too cold - the days that it is way below 0. We try to bundle them up when it is warm enough, which is a process in itself. They are all very impatient and all want to be dressed at the same time and I forgot the Russian words for "please wait." We actually have lots of tears getting ready to go outside, just trying to get everyone's snowpants on and hats, mittens, coats, etc. Jason usually has to go "peesit" just after everyone is outside and Jillian usually has to come in first. Luckily, I can see the sliding hill from the girl's bedroom and the older ones can stay out longer.

The main problem we have is the dogs, they are petrified of them. If anyone has any advice for transitioning this process, I would appreciate it!! Buddy and Teddy are big dogs and wouldn't hurt anyone, but they are overly friendly and are intimidating for the kids. We try to bring them in when they are mellow, but if they walk especially by Robin and Jason, they scream. The other two are getting used to them slowly. The dogs are staying outside most of the time, but on the days it was below zero, we had them in the basement and then the kids were teasing them from under the door and then teasing each other. Jason would pretend scream even when the dogs were downstairs and then get the girls screaming or Ryan would be barking at them and then another screaming fit. I understand the fear of dogs, but the teasing I don't appreciate much!! But so far haven't been able to explain much to them. Hopefully, we can have someone who speaks Russian come in soon and explain a few of these issues.

As far as English, it isn't going too fast. Ryan speaks the most English. We are trying to get them to say please and thank you when they want things instead of grunting. I supposed they are communicating like a 2 y/o would. I think part of the reason is that it has only been a week and that there are four of them and they can talk to each other, so they don't have to try hard to speak to us. But we keep trying with things like plate, fork, cup, milk, jelly, juice, etc. I hope it comes soon!!

As our first family outing, we took them to church Sunday. They did really well. It was hard to sneak in the back and not be noticed because everyone wants to meet them and all the back rows were already taken, so we had to sit up front where we usually do, only this time we take up almost the whole pew!! The kids were really well behaved and Jillian was dancing to the music and then we took them out when it was time for Jr. Church and they really liked that - they got a Bible story and then got to color about the story - they didn't get that, but they just colored and then it was communion, so it was a longer service, so they got to go play in the gym. I think they will like church!!

As I mentioned before, all of us adults were sick when we got home. Finally, on Wednesday, Monte was feeling worse and went to the doctor and was diagnosed with Strep throat. He got a shot in the butt and they did send in prescriptions for the rest of us. Korey starting getting better before the prescription, Monte got better in a day, and I got worse and started throwing up. I haven't eaten much since I have been home, so I am thinking it may be from the medicine, so I quit taking it - I know you're not supposed to, but I am feeling better finally - almost normal!!

Well, there is lots more I could write about our first week, but nap time is over and time to get their snacks!! So, hope to write more soon....

No comments: